Max Burchartz (1887–1961) was a German artist who studied painting at the Düsseldorf Art Academy and the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich. From 1919 on, he was involved with modern artist groups in Germany and was under contract with the Alfred Flechtheim Gallery from 1919-1920. In 1924, Burchartz abandoned his painting and from then on devoted himself entirely to New Design in typography and advertising. He founded the advertising agency werbe-bau with Johannes Canis in Bochum and taught commercial art and photography at the Folkwangschule in Essen from 1926 to 1933. In 1928, he became a member and board member of the ring neuer werbegestalter and was involved in the International Press Exhibition (Pressa) in Cologne.